Then I noticed the bright yellow power cord stretched across a walkway, hovering a few inches above the water and plugged into a wall socket. As I watched, it slid down into a large puddle. “That can’t be a good idea,” I thought, and I considered saying something to the counter worker nearby. Before I could say anything though, the worker walked over and stood directly on top of the cord. OK, now I had to say something.
“Excuse me,” I began, “I don’t know if it’s really a good idea to stand on that electrical cord in a puddle.” The worker looked down with a look of bewilderment and an obvious lack of comprehension. I decided I needed to cut to the chase. “You could get electrocuted.”
Now the worker looked down and stepped away. “Oh, I didn’t know I was standing on a cord,” was all they could muster.
I walked away with my sandwich then, completely unconvinced that I had accomplished anything at all. If you read something in the paper about a Corner Bakery worker being electrocuted, please do not be surprised. All I know is that I tried to do a good deed, but there comes a point where people have to look out for themselves. *Sigh*