This has all cropped up rather suddenly. After several false starts and cancellations, the surgery date had been set for September 4th, but this Friday slot opened up on short notice and my friend jumped at it. And I do mean short notice – the go-ahead only came on Wednesday of this week, so if you’re wondering why this is the first you’re hearing of this, that’s why. I’ll be taking a vacation day so that I can accompany her to the hospital and sit in the waiting area twiddling my thumbs during the 3-hour surgery. In addition, I’ll be helping to take care of her early next week, since she’ll be in too much pain to do much for herself.
As with any surgery that involves being rendered unconscious, there is a certain degree of risk and worry involved, but the risk should be relatively small and the reward substantial, so there is no real hesitation on anybody’s part here. I will post additional information as it becomes available.